Saturday, March 24, 2007

Who knew TROUTMAN would be so hard to understand...

In Slovakia it is custom to put -ova at the end of a woman's last name. For example, Mr. Smith's wife would be Mrs. Smithova. Except that you would never, ever meet a Smith over here... that is unless they were American of course.

Well, anyhow, in the month that I have been here - that's right, it's been a month - I have learned that my last name causes some problems over here. And by problems, I mean that most people don't spell it right. I don't mind you putting -ova at the end of my name. I completely understand that. I don't want people thinking I'm a dude either, especially since there are so many male Laura's out there. All I ask is that when I am spelling out my name for you, you pay attention and write it down correctly. Is that too much to ask? I think not.

2 comments:

BritBoat said...

I know A LOT of guys named Laura! :-)

I totally understand. My name is often mispelled. I've learned to deal with it. Just think, at least everyone there doesn't call you "Britney Spears." To go along with it and fake smile/laugh, or to correct them and explain the difference between you and her...that is the question.

Will and Sarah said...

Laura Troutmatovainevaloskacodgerpineapplebanana

I think thats what they meant